Week 10: The Role of the Academic Clinical Nurse Educator
( 3 to 4 pages not including title page and reference pages)
The Academic Clinical Nurse Educator has unique responsibilities compared to those of the traditional Academic Nurse Educator who works exclusively in the classroom. The most critical aspect of the Clinical Nurse Educator’s role is selecting patient assignments and planning activities for student nurses that support the objectives of their clinical experience. However, before a Clinical Nurse Educator can even bring nursing students into a hospital unit or other practice setting, an extensive amount of communication, coordination, and planning is required.
Clinical Nurse Educators serve as liaisons between their academic institution and the clinical setting where their students practice. As such, they must have effective communication skills to develop trusting relationships with the staff on the unit. They must be able to assess the clinical environment so they are aware of the experiences available to students. Because there are legal, ethical, and patient safety issues to consider when student nurses work with patients, Clinical Nurse Educators must be able to operate under the policies of both their institution and those of the clinical practice partner.
This week, you will examine the core competencies of the Clinical Nurse Educator and explain how they are addressed through appropriate selection of patient assignments and planning of clinical experiences. In addition, you will analyze the use of interpersonal communication in establishing relationships between academic institutions and clinical practice partners. Finally, you will explain how the Clinical Nurse Educator bridges the policies and legal and ethical requirements of the academic institution and the clinical practice partner.
- Evaluate assignments and activities for student nurses in clinical settings that align to clinical experience objectives
- Evaluate clinical nurse educator core competencies in selecting student assignments and planning activities
- Analyze the use of interpersonal communication in establishing relationships between the academic institution and clinical setting
- Analyze the responsibilities of the clinical nurse educator in bridging the policies and legal and ethical requirements of the academic institution and the clinical setting
- Analyze clinical experiences in terms of application of theory to practice
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
Module 6 Assignment: Academic Clinical Nurse Educator and the Clinical Experience
For your Module 6 Assignment, you will first evaluate assignments and activities for student nurses in clinical settings to ensure alignment to clinical experience objectives. You will also examine how core competencies of Clinical Nurse Educators are addressed in planning clinical experiences for student nurses. Finally, you will explore how Clinical Nurse Educators facilitate communication and bridge ethical and legal requirements between the academic institution and the clinical setting.
- Review the National League for Nursing (NLN) site and consider the clinical educator competencies and how they apply to the clinical setting.
- Review Chapter 5 in Legal Aspects of Nursing Professional Development Practice and consider the legal and ethical responsibilities of the Academic Clinical Nurse Educator with respect to working with a healthcare institution.
- On Day 1 for this week, your instructor will assign you a Student Nurse Profile to complete this Module Assignment. See the “Student Nurse Profiles and List of Specialty Areas” document found in the Resources for this week. Review the Student Nurse Profile assigned to you. Note: Please see the “Course Announcements” section of the classroom for your Student Nurse Profile assignment.
- Review the List of Specialty Areas found in this week’s Resources and consider the different specialty areas or units. Once you review the List of Specialty Areas, select a specialty area to match your assigned Student Nurse Profile by developing a patient profile for a patient that you might encounter on this unit.
- Create a specific objective for managing care for the patient.
Assignment (3–4 pages not including title and reference pages)
Part 1: The Student Nurse’s Assigned Patient
- Describe the objective you developed for your student nurse as he/she manages to care for the patient on the unit of the specialty area you selected. Also, describe a patient profile for the patient under consideration.
- Describe activities that will support your designated student nurse in developing their skills to meet the objective that you developed for the clinical experience and specialty area you selected. Be specific.
- Explain how these activities will be beneficial in supporting the objective you developed.
- Explain which core competencies of the Clinical Nurse Educator are addressed through the patient assignment and activities and why. Be specific.
- Explain the legal and ethical issues pertaining to working as a clinical nurse educator in the practice partner’s clinical environment.
Part 2: Post-Conference/De-Brief Session
Explain how you would discuss the following points with your student nurse during a post-conference/debrief session.
- Objective(s) of the clinical experience.
- How the specific patient assignment and students’ activities facilitated meeting the objective(s).
- Application of theory to practice.
- Use of interpersonal communication to establish clinical relationships.
- Legal and ethical issues pertaining to working as a nursing student in a clinical environment.
Submit your Module 6 Assignment by Day 7 of Week 10.
Use your resources to support your explanations. Use proper APA formatting and references.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available at https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
By Day 7 of Week 10
Submit your Module 6 Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading