Write a 1,200-1,750-word paper in the third person about the ethical and legal considerations of the developing counselor to include professional organizations and a plan for continued professional growth. Include the following in your paper:
Ethical and Legal Viewpoint
1. Volunteerism: What standards do counselors need to uphold in a voluntary position or providing free/pro bono work?
2. Self-disclosure: Should counselors disclose personal information to a client? If so, when and how is it appropriate?
3. Objectivity: Why is it important for counselors to remain objective with clients?
4. Self-care: How can counselors prevent professional burnout?
5. Spirituality: How can counselors maintain spirituality in and out of practice?
6. Counseling Dispositions: A review of three counseling dispositions as well as an analysis in regards to personal strengths and challenges in regards to the selected dispositions.
Dispositions are the values, commitments, and professional ethics that influence behaviors toward others, and, if sincerely held, dispositions lead to actions and patterns of professional conduct. The Grand Canyon University Counseling Programs dispositions adhere to the Universitys mission statement, as well as to the established counseling profession codes of ethics.
The Grand Canyon University Counseling Program have adopted the following dispositions for its students derived from the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics. Although these dispositions are not all inclusive, they do represent values and qualities that are warranted by counseling students. Students who fail to adhere to or demonstrate such dispositions may be subject to disciplinary actions.
Patience:Counselors understand the therapeutic process and respect clients efforts to gain control over their lives. Counselors encourage an environment that promotes self-empowerment and allows clients voice in the therapeutic process.
Empathy:Counselors foster understanding, compassion, and avoid any actions that can cause harm to a client. Counselors treat others with dignity and respect.
Acceptance: Counselors foster a healthy climate of change by providing and promoting acceptance, and a nonjudgmental environment during the therapeutic process. They understand their personal value system and do not impose their values, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors on their clients.
Professional Organization Review
A professional organization overview that includes the following:
1. Membership benefits, available activities and/or services to members.
2. Current issues addressed by the organization that are relevant to the counseling profession. Note: These items are usually listed on the association’s website, but you may research elsewhere for one or two current issues in the field. Examples of current issues could include lobbying efforts for particular populations or specialties in the field, proposed or changing laws/regulations, high profile court cases involving ethical violations, or the like.
When writing the paper, consider the following level-one APA headings to help organize the content:
1. Ethical and Legal Viewpoint
2. Professional Organization Review
Include a comprehensive reference page that lists the sources used should be included at the end of the document. The paper should be written in the third person. Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Needs help with similar assignment?
we are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!